Thursday, May 21, 2015

nykeiko plays: Free haircut! @Bumble and Bumble University Model project [NYC]



I got a new hair cut (more than a week old to be exact)! It isn't exactly my favorite hair cut but it is a free one! Read after the jump to find out more...

Bumble and bumble. University Model Project offers complimentary haircuts all year round and all you have to do is sign up. The only negative is that they only offer haircuts from Monday through Friday during day time hours i.e. work hours. But, if you can escape work for long lunch breaks or are in between jobs, then this is a good opportunity.

It's really easy to sign up. Just fill up a pre-evaluation form online to let them know if you fit their criteria and wait for a confirmation email where they will let you know when and where is the next 'Model Call'. This is when a Bb educator will assess your hair in person and then give you the okay to book an appointment for the near future. I emailed them on April 20th and immediately received a confirmation email stating that their next model call would be on June 8th (5:30 pm-6:30 pm). That's a whilez wait but I was in no hurry. I can apparently go a year without a haircut. But two weeks later, a random email from a BbU coordinator asked if I was up for being a STANDBY model for their upcoming 'Current Cut' event. All I had to do was send her a recent photo clearly showing the length of my hair and a brief description on how much length I am willing to take off. No trims allowed. Even though it was not guarantee I would be picked for a haircut, I took my chance and booked myself a 12 p.m. lunch time haircut. I had two time slot choices, 12 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. The haircuts last about 2 hours maximum I was told. 

This is where free things are not always a good thing. Although my hair stylist seem like she knew what she was doing, she was still given what seem to me like basic directions by one of the two educators that were present giving their guidance and tips. My stylist would first ask me what I'd like to do with my hair and then tells the educator their idea, who then gives them a few pointers. The whole process was a little unnerving especially when my stylist wasn't super confident. But when she did manage to start cutting, she took her time and was careful. This is most likely why many of the cuts can take up to 2 hours. I also have a lot of hair which didn't help. When she thought she was done, the educator checked my hair and asked her to fix some parts that were uneven. Some of the stylists were done within an hour and their 'client' had dramatic changes. I was a bit disappointed mine wasn't a huge change but maybe a bit relieved? Although the process was a bit scary and I had some moments of regrets (when she didn't know which way to hold her blade!!), I just kept thinking to myself that my hair will grow back if there's a fuck up and that I'm doing something good for someone. It's not saving a life but I'm helping this hair stylist improve her skills and be part of her portfolio. She was really grateful to have real hair to work with rather than a head mannequin (she probably also paid a lot of money to attend the training program).

Would you try it? Despite my lackluster review, I would actually do it again. In a city where a haircut can easily cost $100, $0 is awesome and maybe next time, I'll get a super start stylist. They offer free blow outs and hair coloring too!

Before cut selfie...

Results...



No comments:

Post a Comment