Monday, April 7, 2014

nykeiko play: CitizenM blogger/slumber party-Portraits by Mike Perry and ChrisRWK

Portraits by ChrisRWK
We had the awesome pleasure of meeting and having our portraits drawn by Chris of RobotsWillKill and Mike Perry during a blogger/slumber party (more on that later! Click here) at the new CitizenM in Times Square!
I already took Chris' drawing to our new apartment and framed it. When Dave's mom saw that it was the first thing I did when I got to the apartment, she thought it was weird I didn't put up our wedding pictures first. Pff I thought. Those are easy to come by while cool hand-drawn robot-like portraits are not. ChrisRWK does art shows and you've probably spotted some of his graffiti around the city before. He's super responsive on social media so feel free to reach out to him about anything!

ChrisRWK

Melissa- a MAC certified makeup artist -was there supporting her man until wee hours of the morning. ChrisRWK was asked to draw portraits from 11:30 pm to 1 a.m. at the CitizenM party but ended up staying until 2:30 a.m. - long after the other artists have left - to appease the high demand for his drawings. We were one of the last people Chris drew and we had been waiting around since 11:30 p.m. The wait wasn't too bad with all the complimentary drinks and food they provided us at the party and we also got our portraits done by Mike Perry as well!

Chris's drawing took a bit more time as he was more meticulous with his drawings. He would first take a snapshot of you and then draw your portraits based on the picture. He also welcomed guests to bring their own picture for him to draw which was pretty cool.

While getting our portraits drawn, Chris and Melissa were friendly and chatted with us. When I found out that they lived on Staten Island (I don't really know anyone from SI), I asked if they have seen this clown before! Turns out that it was fake and done by a Staten Island film company (should have guessed that people were not this effed-up!). I also asked about how they deal with the giant cicada invasions which are known to be super bad on Staten Island! Apparently, you can never get used to these loud giant flying insects ever! Both Melissa and Chris are super down-to-earth peeps and I wish nothing but the best for them! I enjoyed their company very much :)
----
Portraits by Mike Perry
I was psyched to find out that Mike Perry was doing portraits at the CitizenM party. Just last week, I had started -and finished in a day- the first season of a new show on Comedy Central called Broad City and Mike does the show's opening illustrations which changes every episode.

Mike Perry is a designer and artist who has done multiple illustrations for ad campaigns, films, tv, magazines, collabs and much more. For the full list, see his extensive "about me" page on his website. He was a very serious artist at work and was affirmative about it when I made a comment after Cutie Patroller was giggling and he asked her not to move. I may have offended the guy :( Nonetheless, he still did my portrait and asked a couple of things about me before he started which was nice!


Mike Perry

The third artist who was also on site doing portraits was UK artist Jon Burgerman. He drew portraits for Shelly and Eva. Sachiko had hers done by Mike Perry!

Shelly, Eva and Sachiko showing off their portraits

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. I was here for a party and there was so much food and it was all done so well! I didn't even care that I'd just been to Tupelo less than 12 hours ago. I could not stop eating.
    San Diego Venues

    ReplyDelete