Monday, August 12, 2013

30 in 30 before 30? [30 things to do in 30 days before my 30th birthday]

Surprising a friend with orchids....

We're about 30 days away from my 30th birthday and I am thinking about writing this list.... Does this make it the first '30 things to do in 30 days before turning 30' list you have ever read? 

I have never made a birthday "bucket list" before and it seems like turning 30 is the appropriate time to look back and see what you've been missing in your life. Since I am the type of person that usually lives in the "now", I tend to have accomplished many things I have desired to do. Of course not EVERYthing I desire or it would be too easy. Life's always full of opportunities and I take them as they come. I do not  think that turning 30 or any age is a good reason to start doing anything but if it's a little boost to start doing something to make you happier, then so be it. If I look at where I am in my life right this moment, is there anything I would regret not doing if I fall terminally ill tomorrow? Do I have unfinished business somewhere or a feud with a family member or even friends that need to be resolved? Luckily, I am somewhat at peace and do not think that I have too many regrets (that I think of right now anyway..)... I am ready for my 30s! My mistakes, regrets and past good or bad experiences from my teens and 20s have prepared me well for the new challenges that have yet to come....

It is going to be difficult to write this 30-30-30 list but there's always SOMETHING new you can do so, I'm going to force myself to sit down and write down 30 things i would like to do before I turn 30.

[UPDATE POST-30 HERE!!!!]

Here goes!

1 - Steal other people's 'Things to do before 30' list. I need inspiration.

2- Write 5 handwritten letters to new and old friends or even lost acquaintances. Wait, does writing 150 Thank You cards count?

3 - Do something that scares me: 
-Hiking this trail at Kalalau Trail in Hawaii.  So, we found out there were not giving out anymore permits on the days we are visiting so we won't be able to hike the whole trail...to our relief? We will attempt doing the trail anyway but no walking over eroded trails where one slip leads you straight down into the Ocean.

Doing other scary things? I can also add skydiving but I don't think I'll ever do that so maybe swimming with sharks?

Welllll, since we will be going to Hawaii for our honeymoon and conveniently also going to celebrate my 30th birthday, this will facilitate my list and will help me be more creative:

4- Hike a volcano. With flowing lava will be even more awesome!

5- Meet a sea turtle. I will actually try to shake his hands flippers and ask him how old he is.

6- Drive a Jeep or anything bad-ass to ride off terrain in Hawaii.

7- Swim naked in a desolate beach.

8- Shower under waterfalls or simply just BE under any type of waterfalls would be amazing. Naked under waterfalls?

9- Make really great videos of our trip with our new toy (more on that later). Dave ordered my new ram for the laptop just for that!

10- Swim with dolphins. My original desire would be to swim with whales but I know I am not in the right season to do this in Hawaii so let me swim with at least dolphins?

The next part of the list is Inspired from this video "24 things to do before 30". 

11- "Stop doing things for the pictures, but start doing things for the memories". This one is hard. I always HAVE to take pictures or else it is like the event never happened. So weird. 


12- Go on a long road trip with people I love. This one I am not sure about. I'd love to do a road trip in the West coast but who would I want to spend 24/7 with without becoming crazy or even driving them crazy?! Well, since we're planning a trip to Hawaii soon, this one will have to wait until the near future.

13-Learn how to cook one fancy dish. I'm thinking something French and I need to cook meat more.

14-Find something you are really good at. Oh boy..this one is hard because I am good at everyt.....kiiiidding. Okay, let me think about this one because maybe I'm already good at something but don't know it...sooo, I guess I'll find it :P 

In the clip, there are other things that I would have put on my list but I have already done them, such as:

-Move to a new city. I've done this twice actually. From Montreal to Taipei and now to New York. 

-Go sailing. We have sailed in Boston before but did I mention that Dave proposed to me on a sailboat on the Hudson river? :)

-Party hard for 24 hours in Vegas. Okay, so we did a day trip to Vegas a couple of years ago. We arrived in the morning and took a red a eye flight back home. I think even though we didn't gamble, drink and get wasted, we still did something highly spontaneous together in Vegas.

 -Yell at sports game. Does yelling at the ushers who take food orders count?

- Learn a foreign language. I have always wanted to be more fluent in Spanish but the lack of practice makes it hard and learning a language well is a long process when not surrounded by foreign speakers. So, my new language to learn now is Cantonese/Toisanese which I am slowly and passively doing by hanging out with Dave and his parents :). I have for the rest of my life to learn :)

This list is getting difficult. Maybe finishing this list before I turn 30 should be one of my goals. (okay, I am counting it in as my #15).

16-Try to give one good advice. Key word is TRY. Here's one: Don't let age be a motivator for your life's bucket list such as what I am doing now. Just chase your daily or long term goals every single day and you'll be dandy happy with no regrets. I know, easier said than done but just thinking about it will make you feel better.

17- Send my mom a photo album with flowers to thank her for being her. (oops, I'm not suppose to add my regular to-do list here but since it is an on-going project, it counts...).

18- Purchase a classic grown up lady bag. I had the Proenza Schouler PS11 on my mind for a while but I don't think it is a real classic classic bag. So, a real classic bag for me now is a Chanel purse which seems to withstand trends and time like no other bag. This one might be placed on hold and wait until we make a trip to Paris where supposedly, the bags are a bit cheaper.

19- Do something new with my hair. I am going to try a digital perm next week. Wish me luck so that my hair does not end up in a hair horror story post. 

20- Lose 5 more pounds (in a healthy way!) to achieve my goal weight which is the weight I had in my 20s. This will not only make sure I can look somewhat decent in my bikinis in Hawaii but also make me feel turning 30 isn't so bad for my body.

21-Once I reach my goal weight, I will take nudie photos. I want a professional photographer but I am not sure about a stranger taking nude shots of me....hmm, maybe Dave can do it!!

22- Purge material things from my 20s that I do not need in my life moving forward...basically, another closet cleanse. 

23-Finish books I have started but did not finish. I have "Dreams from my Father" by Barack Obama I want to finish. I can finish it on the beach or during the 11-hour plane ride...yay

24-Care for a plant. I acquired a new plant from Dave's aunt a couple of days after our wedding. I want it to flourish for years to come. 

25-Mix one good gin cocktail. Learn how to make gimlet which is THE drink I order at fancy bars.

26- Bake a pie. I have never baked a pie before! I like apple pies ..or blueberry..or rasberries...mmm

27-Make a donation to a new charity I have never donated to before. Any ideas? I have always donated to WWF and that's about it. The documentary Chasing Ice has really made an impact on me. 

28- Calling my in-laws "mama" and "papa" without feeling weird about it. They did not give birth to me nor did they raise me. Just because I married their son makes me have to call them my mother and father and it is just totally WEIRD for me. 

29- Create something new or make something from scratch. My DIY wedding table numbers and cake topper I made from scratch was gratifying (hello, can you believe I made cement from a powder mix?). I have creative A.D.D.

30-Swim laps non-stop for 1 hour straight. I think I'm doing 30-40 minutes now but that's almost always because I have to stop to un-fog goggles or to prevent from bumping into slow pokes.


THAT'S IT!!! IT STARTS NOW! 

Okay, so there was some cheating here and there but I'm sure I'll find new things along the way! Will keep you guys updated on any progress!! Thank you for reading! xx



Follow me...
Instagram: @nykeiko
and yes, Pinterest too!

No comments:

Post a Comment