Thursday, September 20, 2012

nykeiko eats: Momofuku Ssäm bar [East village Eats NYC]

Momofuku Ssäm bar was awarded 2012's World's 50 Best Restaurants as top 37 and has been on the list for the past 4 years. Quite a title non?

There are about 5 NY restaurants which made it on the list this year including the usual pricy suspects such as Per Se ($300/person tasting menu) and Le Bernandin ($330/person with wine pairing menu). I don't know how the list is created and if they have this team of foodies traveling around the world eating up everything they can while taking notes but I'll take their word for it. Ok, of course not. Here's how they do it and that's that.

When I saw Momofuku Ssäm bar on the list, I was curious. I am familiar with Momofuku's reputation so I was not totally surprised it was on there but inquisitive because this small dark East village eatery is not in the expensive price range such as Per Se and other fancy schmancy eating places and is frequented by patrons of all stature. You know, not snobbish with dress codes. Also, I'm not trying to say that the BEST dishes in the world HAS to be expensive but it is an observation. The food must be really good I thought and well, Momofuku's owner David Chang runs 5 other restaurants in the city which one of them Momofuku Ko has picked up 2 Michelin stars and also Momofuku noodle bar which is well know for its ramen (though it is not on my top recommended ramen list).

So for me, Ssäm bar was just okay. I just know that I've had better meals. Heck, Momofuku Ko's dishes were so much better in my opinion. No review on that because no pics allowed but you MUST try it if you can get reservations! I'm not a food critique and pretend like I know what I'm talking about but I just know what I like.

The cheapest thing we ordered at Ssäm bar were the porc buns which is also still the the best porc buns I've had in the city. The other pretty dishes charred octopus and lamb, were delicious upon the first few bites but after that, the puree sauces that all the pieces swimmed in really made everything taste the same and it became blend. It's suppose to add and enhance the flavor but I didn't think so..for what I had anyway.

Bonus points for the nice presentation! Here's what we ordered, do you think we did good? Do you think that it is worthy of being one of the 50 Best restos in the World?

Ssäm bar santa barbara uni – heirloom tomato, cantaloupe, shiso

Ssäm bar steamed buns – pork belly, hoisin, cucumbers, scallions

Ssäm bar porc buns

Ssäm bar chicken liver mousse – olive berry, purslane, maitake

Ssäm bar

Ssäm bar roasted lamb loin & belly – bulgur,  lima beans, egg yolk

Ssäm bar charred spanish octopus – pine nuts, celery, black olive

Follow moi eat!

www.facebook.com/nykeiko
Tweet @nykeiko_com
Instagram: nykeiko

4 comments:

  1. all of this looks amazing.

    and i really think they SHOULD have people going all over the world sampling different restaurants and comparing them. And if they did, I think they should hire me to do it.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing! I am so jealous now. There's now a Momofuku in Sydney and I'm dying to dine there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What does the Momofuku chain serve in Sydney?? I'm curious!

      Delete