Tuesday, April 14, 2015

nykeiko eats: Streetbird Rotisserie in Harlem. Uptown Funk!


This past weekend, we checked out Marcus Samuelsson's new funky eatery Streetbird Rotisserie, in Harlem by 116th street and Frederic Douglas Boulevard. The restaurant has only been open for two weeks but it feels like it has been part of the neighborhood for ages. The decor is so busy but in a good way. The wall is covered from top to bottom with unique murals (by graffiti street artist Cey Adams), a ton of large and small memorabilia, vintage gears and wares, random decors and oozes Harlem culture big time. I kept looking around non-stop and finding neat things tucked here and there. There are conversation pieces all around like a subway door in the kitchen! The chandeliers made out of cassettes and old school boom boxes were a cool touch too. A bit of nostalgia kicked in at one point.





Now the food! We got there a bit after 3 p.m. and lucky for us, they have begun serving food all day since they were only open for lunch and dinner when they first opened! The place was packed and we were told the wait would be 20 minutes for a table however, if we decide to eat at the bar, it is on a first-come-first-serve basis. Double luck for us, when we walked up to the bar to check, a couple of ladies were just moving away leaving two lovely stools for us.

We were offered a menu placed on top of a cool table mat that had a collage centered around Snoop Dogg. Since it was my first time there, I wanted to give their Crispy Bird sandwich a try. I wanted to try their rotisserie chicken too but didn't want too big of a meal. Dave tried the General Ye's chicken (which is their crispy chicken paired with rice and veggies) last time and decided he wanted something more gritty and choose the crispy chicken sandwich as well. I ordered a side of Green papaya salad because I didn't expect to see that on the menu and Dave went with his favorite cornbread. The prices were easy to swallow. $8.50 for the sandwich and $4 each for the salad and the cornbread.

I'll just say that I didn't like my green papaya salad but still managed to eat it all probably because I like green papaya. I would not recommend the salad. Dave devoured his cornbread so I guess it was good. The crispy chicken was super tasty and moist. There was other stuff on the menu I wanted to try like the comfort foods including the fries and Mac and Cheese, and of course the rotisserie chicken. I'll most likely give Streetbird another taste one day. It's in my hood and one bus ride away!










Thanks for reading x

No comments:

Post a Comment