Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Nykeiko-Lover.ly Dream Day Style Challenge



I was approached by Lover.ly to take on the Dream Day Style Challenge. I already experienced my own dream day last year so this challenge was really just for fun.  Thinking about a wedding outfit with no wedding to plan and no budget restrictions is what makes it fun. I also got the chance to create my first collage ever (as obvious as it can be) on the blog. 

You may or may not remember this but my entire wedding day outfit cost me less than $200 (including a Morgane Le Fay dress, Jimmy Choo shoes, Judith Leiber earrings but excluding the Marchesa clutch that ripped through my dress and end up not using). Everything was purchased at sample sales. Most things were new. My dress was a sample and cost $100.  My bridal makeup with trial actually cost four (!) times more than my dress. I wasn't even on a real budget but I was reluctant to splurge too much because I kept thinking it was too wasteful for just one day even if it was for my own wedding (Go figure, I go and spend $450 on makeup application not counting my mom and sister's makeup too!). 




The Dream Day Challenge starts with 'Setting the Scene'. I got to pick between city glam, beach nuptials or a rustic soirée. I liked both the idea of city glam and rustic soirée (because I would hate that my guests get sand in their eyes?). The look I pulled together would fit both scenery well. Our actual wedding ceremony was held in Central Park by the Bow Bridge and our post-wedding reception was at the Palm Court inside the Plaza Hotel. It was the perfect dash of outdoor/rustic and classical feel but all this happened in the middle of the world's busiest city. So city glam and rustic can totally happen.

For the challenge, the dress was the foundation and inspiration for the look. This Temperley London Laelia dress caught my eye and even after browsing through the entire dress section on Lover.ly, this delicate floral silk piece kept standing out for me. With a detailed dress like that, you don't need to accessorize much so I picked these lovely moonstone micro-pave diamond earrings to pair from Brooklyn-based jeweler, Mociun

On my wedding day, my something blue and old was a sapphire necklace Dave gifted me for my birthday. For this look, I wanted a pop of blue somewhere but a necklace would not do so I looked again through Mociun's custom jewelry photo gallery and picked this sapphire ring with mini pave diamonds. It's delicate and modern, perfect for a girl wanting something non-traditional. I also visited Catbird for other non-traditional bridal jewelry ideas.

For shoes, I was thinking about something shiny and blue but the look was not special enough so I choose these satin/feathered Manolo Blahnik Catalina D'orsay instead.

If the bride insists on bringing some touch-up make up or a cellphone (totally necessary for selfies) around then a clutch would be needed. I picked an embroidered Marchesa clutch which is the same one I purchased for my wedding (for $300 at a Marchesa sample sale) but did not get to use it since the embroidery ate up my dress as I mentioned before.

Since you don't want your look to be too bland, a pop of color on your lips will turn things around, especially for a City Glam wedding. I picked a coral/pink hue from Chanel's Rouge Allure limited edition collection.

And last but not least, you wedding bouquet. Probably the second most important accessory on your wedding day and to make all your wedding pictures look more beautiful. I designed my own bouquet with the help of Brooklyn's Rose Red and Lavender team. I loved my bouquet so much that I was reluctant to give it up during the bouquet toss. I used a decoy instead! My real bouquet has since been dried up and now sitting on top of a bookshelf in our living room.

While browsing Lover.ly and trying to put together the look, I had moments of: "Oh man, I wish i wore this, or did my hair like that etc." but in the end, I'm absolutely pleased with my wedding day look and have no regrets. The Dream Day Style Challenge made me realize that even with endless choices of dresses, shoes, accessories etc., the final look and feel did not stray too far from what I wore.

I was not paid to write this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment