Friday, December 14, 2018

nykeiko buys: Holiday shopping is around the corner! Here is my shopping/wish list...

Shop small first!

So, it's easy for me to shop small because in New york, I'm surrounded by awesome craft markets which explode in numbers during the holidays. So far, we have visited three markets-Renegade Craft FairBrooklyn Holiday Bazar hosted by Cut and Crafted (held in The Green Building) and Phoenicia Flea (held indoors at the Williamsburg Hotel). When you shop small business and local, prices are not going to be anything close to what you pay at Target or Walmart  but that is because you're paying for items that artists spend years perfecting and give their blood, sweat and tears to creat something from scratch. We must show them some support even if it means digging dipper in your pockets.

Here are some of my recent finds/purchases:





If there are green plants somewhere in a store, I always take a look. I spotted ceramics from Mud to Life at a recent Renegade Craft Fair in Manhattan. I was contemplating one of her 'Zen' hanging planters for a long time until I decided that maybe I don't need it. I end up regretting not getting it when I got home and emailed her to find out when was her next event. She told me Craft And Co. which I was not able to make until my Thanksgiving weekend plans fell through.We ventured to Gowanus in Brooklyn where I met her planters again. Except this time, I locked eyes with one of her piglets (below). She was giving away plants for any planter purchase which made it even easier for me to give in.

You can buy from her Etsy shop here. She's having a 25% sale now.


Mud To Life- piglet $48

Zen small hanging planter $38


For the kids room:


Fat Jackelope from Wandering Laur $28





I stumbled upon Wandering Laur at the Brooklyn Bazaar and her prints looked familiar because I've seen them before. Her hedgehog and the jackalope have been featured in countless nursery room photos I'm sure. It looked familiar and it's probably from browsing instagram accounts related to kids home decor and stuff. I spotted the jackalope print and didn't let go. It's a limited edition signed print and I had 12/100 in my hand.

I also stood there for ten minutes trying to decide which of these two posters ($40 each or 2 for $75) to get for the kid's room. I was really tempted to get both posters but I didn't want to spend over $100 at one shop.

Shop her Etsy store here






Something cute for your Christmas tree or just to hold:





Here's one on our tree

These "pixies" are so sweet and cute from Teardrop Lollipop. Each one if one-of-a-kind and you know that always gets me to fork out some money. We met the owner at Phoenicia Flea in Williamsburg hotel. My daughter got to pick a Taffy Bunny and I couldn't be more happy with her choice.

Something nice for the bookshelf and scented:

I met Olga of Makers Market at Renegade Craft fair. I was instantly attracted by the patterns in her display and then saw these large teabag pillows she said she created not long ago for the holidays.  I was trying to pick between the two designs but end up with both because I couldn't pick just one. Happy Olga helped me out with a discount. They burst of lavender scent and I love them up on top of our bookshelves.





For you (or your baby's) ears:

I always have something I want from Catbird that I like. I actually got these pink sapphire studs during Cyber Monday so knocked 15% off the retail price. Still pricy I have to admit but I have lost so many earrings that I've stopped buying and wearing earrings except my diamond solitaires which have screw-backs. I am also at risk at losing my piercing because of the fact that I don't wear earrings. I don't have the habit of taking off jewelry for swims and showering so these babies will stay on me for a very long time. It'll be worth every penny.





For your sleep and eyes:


I purchased this Gravity weighted sleep mask for a fellow mama. She said she didn't need anything for her second kid so I said I would give her the gift of "sleep". I'm glad she liked it. She end up buying one for her husband too. If you are like me and sensitive to light and find yourself under your covers or pillows when you wake up, then this mask is for you. They often do sales (15%-20% off) so wait for one!

It is currently sold out but hope it will be back in stock soon. 

For your feet:

Forget Hunter boots, these gumboots by Hubble and Duke are the same quality and cuter for you and your kids. Actually, looks like it is more for kids. I picked up a pair for my girl during a sale on Lemou Lou.




For the luxy home:

You like buffets? How about a candle buffet? The Diptyque Advent calendar is $425 USD. The calendar includes 25 items which includes 15 mini mini candles and a limited edition holiday candle. Then there's 7 personal fragrances and 2 body care products as well. This will last me for years.

I actually bought one but returned it because my husband made me feel guilty about burning money candles.


For the luxy beauty:

Try this Tula face exfoliator. You will not regret it. Get 15% off your first purchase but try finding a code for 20% and use it because it is pricy but your face will thank you! I use this once a month or when my skin just needs a boost. I don't do pricy facials so this splurge is totally worth it for me.

Beautycounter is now part of my daily skin routine.







I have yet to be disappointed by all the products from BeautyCounter I have already tried. So I wouldn't mind trying this "Best of Beauty Counter" for $89. It includes:


Cleansing Balm (30 ml / 1 fl oz): This multi-tasker is a skin care trifecta: daily cleanser, makeup-removing balm and overnight mask. Formulated with nutrient-rich raspberry and cranberry seed oils and vitamin C.

Countermatch Adaptive Moisture Lotion (30 ml / 1 fl oz): This lightweight moisturizer adjusts to skin’s needs throughout the day. 

No. 1 Brightening Facial Oil (10 ml / 0.3 fl oz): An Allure “Best of Beauty” Award Winner, this lightweight citrus-scented facial oil with vitamin C quickly absorbs and penetrates to awaken and replenish skin.

No. 3 Balancing Facial Mask (30 ml / 1 fl oz): This nutrient-rich kaolin clay mask helps to purify and balance the skin, absorbing excess oil and drawing out impurities for a smoother-looking complexion.


For your luxy fingers:
This curve band in rose gold with blue sapphires from Anna Sheffield would look so nice with your engagement ring or simply by itself. I regret not getting a more unique wedding band versus a traditional one to match my engagement ring.




Surprise boxes:

For those who likes surprises and helping Ellen with her Gorilla Fund! Get the Be Kind By Ellen Box. Currently there's a waitlist but the next one might be better. The box is $54.99 and it included a Vitruvi diffuser valued at over $110. That alone was worth getting the box since Vitruvi is a highly recommend good looking diffuser one needs for their offices.

The rest, I was meh about. I gave the Helen Ficalora necklace ($75 value) to my daughter which she liked for a day.


This Bar Saves Lives
 is actually pretty delicious and I ate them all already.  I gave the Ellen Show sox away but would have kept boxers. Dish soap is useful too and a lip balm I don't need! Other items like Love Lotto scratch cards and a packet of seeds might be useless but in the end, it supports Ellen's cause and everyone should help Ellen out, right?




If materialistic gifting is not your thing here are a few charities my money has gone to this year or should go to:




We have been following rock climber Alex Honnold's adventures for a while now. He is using his fame and money for the good of the planet and human beings. Help support his cause by donating to The Honnold Foundation.



You have surely noticed the increased amount of news coverage conerning plastic being found EVERYWHERE. On beaches, in our water, in our food, in sea turtle stomachs and even the sperm whale (he had over 1,000 different types of plastic pieces in his stomach).

There are two companies that I have come across that helps remove the plastics from the beaches and oceans.
-4Ocean . Read about it here
-Surfrider foundation which I recently heard about from the Everlane Black Friday Fund.

 I really hope these charities are for real and that our money is really helping with cleanup because it really needs to be done.  Of course your money will go to administrative costs and other costs not related to the clean up, so if you want to save money, just remember to take all your trash with you the next time you go to the beach which is your straightforward way of contributing. Oh and wear coral safe sunscreen too!


That's it for now! I really want to recommend gel socks for dry cracked heels which I recommend and more useful goodies but the list cannot go on forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment