Monday, September 8, 2014

nykeiko travel: Instead of the aurora borealis, we saw this... [Bárđarbunga, Iceland]

Red glow from Bardarbunga volcano seen from our campsite by Lake Myvatn  
(Tomorrow is our last day in Iceland. Feeling pretty darn sad right now).

After almost a week of rain and cloudy skies, we finally enjoyed some sunny days and clear(er) skies north of Iceland. That's also when I started waking myself up at random times during the night in hopes of catching a glimpse of the aurora borealis. At our campsite by Lake Myvatn with minimal city lights, I was hopeful to see some light action. I peaked my head out of our tent at random hours of the night (1:00, 2:00, 3:00 a.m.) but saw nothing. Just plain old boring shiny stars (no, no, they were also pretty especially the shooting stars.) At around 3 a.m., I decided to make a trip to the bathroom to make good use of my time and that's when I noticed a bright red glow from afar coming from the direction where Bárđarbunga is suppose to be. About 110 km away. You know Bárđarbunga, that volcano on the news you surely heard about and that has made many people question why we were still going to Iceland for our vacation destination. The fact is, we knew (hoped) that the volcano would not affect much of our itinerary and it really didn't. 

As you can see on the map below, everything north of the volcano was closed off due to the potential risk of flooding, but we had no plans of going there at all. Lake Myvatn falls right on top of the closed off area and that's where we spent one night close to "danger". Just close enough for me to get these pretty cool pictures. It's no spewing lava or anything but that's perfectly fine with me. (If you want to see spewing lava, click on the volcano's live webcams here!)


More pics..



Bárđarbunga volcano is somewhere out there...
Thanks for reading x

No comments:

Post a Comment